Our journey in diabetes began in 1922, when Nordisk was founded by a Nobel Prize-winning professor at the University of Copenhagen, August Krogh. He and his wife Marie, a researcher in metabolic diseases, gained permission from one of the main discoverers of insulin, the Nobel laureate Frederick Banting, to produce insulin in Denmark.
Novo Nordisk was formed in 1989 when Nordisk merged with Novo Terapeutisk Laboratorium. Novo Nordisk has been expanding rapidly ever since with leading positions within diabetes care, haemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy.
We will continue to build on the legacy left by the founders of Novo Nordisk and do whatever it takes to change diabetes. Our history tells us it can be done.
Facts and figures
Global headquarters: Denmark
- UK headquarters: Gatwick, West Sussex, England
- UK & ROI workforce: around 430 employees (March 2014)
- Global workforce: Novo Nordisk employees approximately 40,000 employees (March 2014)
- Diabetes care
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Haemostasis management
- Growth hormone therapy
Novo Nordisk Way, is our way:
- Our ambition is to strengthen our leadership in diabetes.
- Our key contribution is to discover and develop innovative biological medicines and make them accessible to patients throughout the world.
- We aspire to change possibilities in haemophilia and other serious chronic conditions where we can make a difference.
- Growing our business and delivering competitive financial results is what allows us to help patients live better lives, offer an attractive return to our shareholders and contribute to our communities.
- We never compromise on quality and business ethics.
- Our business philosophy is one of balancing financial, social and environmental considerations – we call it ‘The Triple Bottom Line’.
- We are open and honest, ambitious and accountable, and treat everyone with respect.
- We offer opportunities for our people to realise their potential.
- Every day, we must make difficult choices, always keeping in mind, what is best for patients, our employees and our shareholders in the long run.
It’s the Novo Nordisk Way.